Should I See a Doctor for My Injuries After My Car Accident?

Often, injuries caused by motor vehicle accidents are not immediately apparent. A majority of clients report feeling the most pain a day or two following their automobile accident. Unless you are absolutely certain you were not injured, you should seek medical attention at your local emergency room, walk-in clinic or by seeing your family physician. Even in accidents involving minor impact, you can sustain serious and permanent injuries. If you lost consciousness or were dazed for even a short period of time following the collision, you may have suffered a concussion or closed head injury. This can cause cognitive and behavioral changes if left untreated. Here is a break down of common doctors and facilities that many car accident victims see immediately after their car crash.

Emergency Room: Emergency departments are often the only choice you have if you have sustained a severe or life-threatening injury in an automobile accident. Going to the ER can be a good decision even if you do not have a life-threatening condition. The ER physicians can evaluate your injuries and provide the medication you need to get through what can be a painful first few days after a crash while you begin your healing process. Emergency Rooms are not designed to provide continued treatment or follow-up care, so be sure to go for a follow-up visit to another doctor a few days after your ER visit.

Urgent care is another option available for care after a car accident. However, as with ER care, you may not receive the comprehensive treatment and care you need following an accident and will need to follow up with another doctor a few days later.

Primary Care Physician: Another option for treatment and care after an auto accident is your primary care physician. However, your family doctor might refuse to see you after a car crash as they are not set up to bill your PIP (personal injury protection) insurance or may not feel comfortable treating car accident injuries.

Doctor with Car Accident Experience: Some physicians in our area limit their practices to treating injuries caused by car accidents. A doctor that limits his or her practice to car accident injuries has the expertise required to properly diagnose, treat and care for injuries that have been sustained in automobile crashes. Car accident doctors understand that there can be many types of injuries sustained in a collision, even minor ones. They also know that even if a person involved in a car crash does not sustain any physically visible injuries, there can still be serious injuries that need to be assessed and properly treated.

Chiropractor: Many injury victims get relief and like the more holistic approach of a chiropractor following a car crash. As mentioned earlier, you can sustain injuries in a crash even if you do not have visible cuts or wounds. When you visit a chiropractor following an auto accident, you can receive much needed treatment. In fact, they may be able to provide better or more effective treatment than your PCP or other doctors.

If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident, call Personal Injury Attorney Chelsie M. Lamie at 727-501-3464 for a free consultation. You can also learn more about Attorney Lamie by visiting

© 2019 Chelsie M. Lamie, P.A.



Call Now ButtonCall Chelsie