Dealing with an Insurance Adjuster After a Car Crash?

After a car accident, one of the first people you will hear from is an insurance adjuster.  An adjuster for each insurance company — yours and the person who hit you — will call you and will want to discuss the details of your crash and inquire about your injuries. Sometimes they will ask to take a recorded statement.

It is imperative that you not answer any questions or give a recorded statement until you have spoken with a reputable personal injury attorney who can review the facts of your case and advise you as to your legal rights.

Fortunately for you, if you retain a personal injury attorney, dealing with the insurance adjuster will become their problem and will no longer be yours!

Your personal injury attorney will communicate with the assigned insurance adjuster, providing updates about your injuries and medical care. Based upon the information provided, the adjuster will set their reserve for your file (the amount they believe your case is worth).

Once you have reached maximum medical improvement (MMI), your attorney will submit a demand and will attempt to negotiate a settlement with the adjuster.

If the case settles, the adjuster issues a check and release and your case is well on its way to being closed. However, if a settlement can not be reached, your attorney may file a lawsuit. Usually, when a lawsuit is filed a new (higher level) adjuster is assigned to the file and he or she begins to work with the attorney the insurance company hires to represent the at-fault party.

Your attorney will now communicate with the attorney, and sometimes also with the adjuster, to attempt to settle your case as it moves through the litigation process. If your case goes to mediation or trial, the adjuster will usually attend both events in person.

If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident, call Personal Injury Attorney Chelsie M. Lamie at 727-501-3464 for a free consultation. You can also learn more about Attorney Lamie by visiting

© 2019 Chelsie M. Lamie, P.A.



Call Chelsie