Commonly Asked Personal Injury Questions
Do I need a lawyer?
• Something to consider after an auto accident to determine if you need an attorney is whether or not you are injured. If you are injured, you should consult with an attorney to ensure you know what your rights are and to make sure you do not accept too little from the insurance company.
How quickly do you begin working on my case?
• Once you have decided to hire an attorney, we begin working on your case immediately. We investigate potential sources of insurance and assets of the at-fault party. We also assist with getting your vehicle fixed or get you into a rental until you can replace your vehicle. We also make sure you are getting the correct medical treatment up front for your injuries.
What is needed from me during my case?
• During your case you will be asked to regularly communicate with the attorney and paralegal. You will need to keep them informed of any changes in your contact information and changes in your medical providers. You should also alert them to how treatment is going and if you feel it isn’t helping, so they can point you in the right direction. You should also let them know when you are coming close to concluding treatment. If your case goes into litigation, you will be asked to participate in the discovery process.
How does my attorney get paid for the work they’ve done on my case?
• Your attorney gets paid their fees once the case settles, and only if the case settles. Your attorney gets paid an agreed upon percentage of the settlement proceeds that come directly from the insurance company. If we don’t recover money for you, you owe us nothing.
What are “costs” that are incurred on my case?
• Costs include basic office costs such as faxes, copies and postage. They also include the cost to obtain your medical records and films. Other costs could include the hiring of experts and court reporters if your case goes into litigation. Costs are paid for up front by our office and paid back to us at the completion of the case out of the settlement funds.
Do I need to file a lawsuit?
• It is important to hire an attorney who is experienced at litigating personal injury cases. Insurance companies know who settles and who litigates. We will discuss with you when and whether it is a good idea to file a lawsuit on your case.